Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1-2 servings (depending on how much liquid you added) The Swamp Monster Smoothie is a great way to start your day after a hard workout! This recipe is just a template – feel free to add/subtract ingredients to make it even more awesome!
- 1 big leaf kale, thick stem removed (or 1/2 cup packed fresh spinach)
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1/2 inch piece ginger root
- 1/4 avocado
- 4 Tbsp rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp nut butter (I use my homemade almond or cashew butter)
- 1 Tbsp raisins
- 4 dates (or another 1 Tbsp raisins –but it might come out too sweet)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground flax seed
- 1 packet of Juice Plus Vanilla Complete
- 4-5 frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup or more coconut water (or 1 small cucumber)
- dash of cinnamon
Optional ingredients for an even healthier smoothie:
- 1/2 tsp light miso paste
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp wheatgrass
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp spirulina
- 1-2 Tbsp dark cocoa powder
- Up to 1/2 cup other kinds of frozen fruit or berries (I like blueberries)
- Add all of the base ingredients and whatever you’re using from the optional list to a high-powered blender (see note below).
- Blend everything together until smooth, 2-3 min depending on your blender, stopping halfway to check on the flavor. At this stage, you can add more of any ingredient to your taste (add more raisins/prunes to make it sweeter). If it’s too thick, add more almond milk/water.
- Once it’s smooth, pour into a glass and enjoy!
If using a regular blender (other than a high speed blender like Vitamix or Blendtec), stop blending often and scrape down the sides to ensure even blending.
Raw Joy, Jackie